Friday, December 17, 2010

Charity in the Pancakes Wedding: TOMS

Since we are spending all of this money on ourselves and families, I have decided to do something charitable at the same time.  Nothing big but something small and meaningful.

One of my co-workers and i were talking the other day about shoes and she made the suggestion of me wearing canvas shoes.  Not only canvas shoes but TOMS! Funny thing is that i saw a documentary one time about the founder of the shoe company,  Blake Mycoskie and i loved the concept of his shoes.  You see (this is directly from the TOMS.com website---does this make me a priate?) Blake was traveling and

 ...befriended children in Argentina and found they had no shoes to protect their feet. Wanting to help, he created TOMS Shoes, a company that would match every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. One for One. Blake returned to Argentina with a group of family, friends and staff later that year with 10,000 pairs of shoes made possible by TOMS customers.

Since 2006 obviously he has expanded his charity all over the world and children are receiving shoes. An idea so simple but yet brilliant!

I have been looking at shoes to wear during the wedding reception, long after i take off my heels, which i plan to.  I love high beautiful heels but i cannot wear them the whole day! Therefore i have been looking at flat shoes and i believe TOMS are it!  What a great way for me to GIVE BACK and at the same time have comfortable shoes on my feet for the wedding reception!

Womens Silver Glitters TOMS Shoes SideI tried the shoes on and they are sooooooooooooo comfortable, light and just fun! I am currently deciding between the two shoes below.  The glitter ones are more party and fun but then being reasonable, i can wear the plain ones after the wedding on a regular basis! Womens Natural Canvas Classics TOMS Shoes Side




And the heart warming part of this is that while i wear my shoes during and after the wedding, a child somewhere in the world will also be wearing their very own TOMS!  It definitely makes my heart smile!




                                     
       Check out toms.com for your own inspiration. 
 It is a wonderful idea!


3 comments:

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy said...

I was just looking at a pair of TOMS in Neiman Marcus the other day. My husband saw the price tag and about choked. LOL. He understands that heels cost good $$ but for some reason he couldn't understand why I would be interested in a $350 pair of TOMS or house slippers as he called them.

Theodora Ofosuhima said...

I've been thinking about TOMS shoes too. The other day I saw a girl wearing a pair of TOMS boots.

I will buy a red one :)!

Redbabe said...

The silver one is so funky...!